Accepted, what’s next?

Paying for College


Congratulations! You’ve been admitted to the University of California, Riverside. We hope you use Undocumented Students Program as a resource to help navigate your journey through higher education. Here are some tips we hope will help ease your transition, whether a transfer student or an incoming freshman. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact 

  • 1. First: Financial Aid

    You should receive your financial aid award letter a few weeks after receiving your acceptance letter. If you do not, check that your California Dream Act application and GPA verification were completed by the deadline and UCR received them. If you’re starting at UCR in Fall 2020, your CA DREAM Act and GPA Verification deadline is March 2nd, 2020. 

    Once you receive your financial aid letter, review how much of tuition is covered and how much out-of-pocket expenses you will have for items such as room and board. If you need assistance in understanding your award letter, feel free to contact 

    Note: Every year, around 20 percent of students are randomly selected for verification. If you’re selected, do not panic. Simply follow the instructions provided to you via rweb. 

    Note for males: All males, including undocumented students, are required to register for Selective Service. If you do not register for Selective Services your financial aid will be put on hold. If you do not have a social security number, print, and mail the Selective Service Registration Form. A registration acknowledgment letter containing your Selective Service registration card will arrive in the mail about 30 to 90 days after you mail in your registration form. This is proof of your registration. Keep it in a safe place. 

    If you are unsure if you qualify for the CA Dream Act use this link as a resource: 

  • 2. Statement of Intent to Register (SIR)

    Make sure to complete and pay your SIR before the deadline, admission may be revoked if SIR is not completed. If you do not have sufficient funds to pay the SIR fee, you may submit a written request to asking for a deferment of this fee. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, Student ID Number or Application ID Number, your total family income, and the total number of family members supported by that income. If you meet their low-income guidelines, they will defer your SIR deposit fee.

  • 3. Statement of Legal Residence
  • 4. Register for Orientation

    There is also the option of Deferred Payment Plan (DPP). The Deferred Payment Plan is designed to give students an opportunity to pay tuition and fees over an extended period of time. Contact Student Business Services for more information.

  • 5. Check Your UCR Email

    Apply for AB 540 tuition exemption (for eligible California high school graduates). If you qualify, you will pay in-state vs. out-of-state tuition. Learn more and see our FAQ section for more answers to questions regarding tuition exemption.

  • 6. Housing

    Some internships and fellowships are paid. See our internships and fellowships section


For Parents & Guardians 

If you or your student is seeking help to pay for college, this family guide can help you find the best approaches to paying for school.
(Available in English and Spanish.)